Wednesday, April 26, 2017

Critical reflection and proposal

Context of practice allowed me to explore a topic which I never would have considered otherwise. At first I was cautious about the theme I had to investigate and confused about where to begin with analysing it, but after undertaking the triangulation and research exercises and finding out context about the quote and author, I found it wasnt as difficult as I I first thought it would be. I chose this particular quote because it was the one I found the most interesting that I was actually interested in investigating. I think my initial essay in which I contextualised bettelheim, the author of my quote, was quite successful, and I think the sources I found to support my argument were fitting. I also think my response to the animation analysis went quite well, because I was interested in analysing Shrek, one of my favourite animations, and there was a lot more to write about than I thought after I did some research.  I think my visual journal was successful in helping me link my ideas visually, but could have been more effective if I relied less on text and thought more conceptually about my ideas. I think my time management on this module was better in others during the course of the year but I should have done my journal more consistently.
I think in COP2 I would like to focus more on the idea of feminism in animation because I really enjoyed exploring the gender aspect of fairytales and comparing this with animation. I think I would also like to focus on body image within animation and games.

5 relevant/ related subjects
Gender in animation
Body image in animation
How animation in games presents gender
Womens role in the field of animation
Why there is so much focus on gender
5 relevant books
Understanding Animation, Paul Wells
Women and Animation:A Compendium, Jayne Pilling
Good Girls and Wicked Witches: Changing Representations of Women in Disney
Feminist ideology in Animation, Molly Nicholls
http://www.wstudies.pitt.edu/wiki/images/0/06/gender_roles_in_animated_cartoons_has_the_picture_changed_in_20_years.pdf
5 relevant websites

No comments:

Post a Comment