Thursday, October 20, 2016

OUAN401- Seminars


List of Quotes

During our first seminar with Richard, he introduced us to a list of quotes, one of which we would pick to focus on for the year to investigate and write essays on. I decided on the following quote;

'In order to master the psychological problems of growing up [...] a child needs to understand what is going on with his conscious self so that he can also cope with that which goes on in his unconscious. [...] It is here that fairy tales have unequaled value, because they offer new dimensions to the child's imagination which would be impossible for him to discover as truly on his own.'

I chose this quote as it was the one which appealed to me the most. The quotes were obviously intended to be challenging but this is the one I felt I could explore the most without becoming too frustrated or losing interest. I am looking forward to exploring the deeper meanings to Fairy Tales and the fact they aren't merely stories for children. I thought many of the topics we have to explore, such as gender, would be interesting to write about in the context of Fairy tales.

No comments:

Post a Comment